Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My May Flower

May 23, 2004

I spent the night after my graduation party at my best friend’s house. I felt pretty awkward the last few times I had been over there. His sister and I had been an “item” for a while, but that was over now. I was still in love with her. It was hard to be around her, but how could I turn down a B movie night with my buddy? Besides, her shoulder seemed to be thawing as of late.

When we got to the house, their parents went to bed, and we popped Dementia 13 into the DVD player. There was an empty seat on the couch by Elizabeth. I decided to test the water. I expected her to get up and move to another spot. She didn’t. Interesting. After an hour and a half of black-and-white murder and creepy dolls, we moved on to Jesse James Meets Frankenstein’s Daughter, a classic love story that would soon become a part of our love story.

A few minutes into the movie, I looked down and noticed Elizabeth’s hand resting on the cushion next to me. It was pretty. I laid my hand down next to hers. She didn’t move away. I left it there for a few minutes. I moved it a little closer. Our pinkies touched. She still didn’t move away. A few more minutes. Our pinkies overlapped. I moved my whole hand on top of hers. Several minutes. I moved it down. Our fingers interlocked. My heart was beating quickly. Elizabeth’s brothers had fallen asleep. I scooted closer to her.

“I’m crazy about you,” I whispered. “Do you want to be my girl again?”

She smiled and nodded. She leaned closer to me, and I put my arm around her. The movie concluded, and the menu loop played and played as we sat there talking. I was in Heaven.


May 19, 2006

Elizabeth and her family had moved in December. We were heartbroken when we found out, but it turned out to be a memorable part of our relationship. We called each other nearly every night, and I drove the three hour round trip nearly every weekend to see her. I grew to love MO-142 in all of her curvaceous, hilly glory. I soaked in the scenery, the solitude, and the anticipation as I passed the time by listening to old time radio serials and checking off landmarks. The huge curve where I almost ran off the road every time: 30 more minutes. The Eleven Point River bridge: 20 more minutes. The old white church: 10 more minutes until our sweet reunion.

During that time, I had been faithfully saving for an engagement ring. When I finally got one, I asked Elizabeth out on a date. Because she had moved six months before graduation, she was allowed to finish her high school classes in the fall. This meant that she would miss her senior prom. Needing a proper ruse to hide my proposing intentions, I told Elizabeth that we were going someplace special, and that she should wear a nice dress, because I was going to take her to a private prom substitute.

So we dressed up, and I took her to the restaurant and park where we went on our first date. After dinner, we took a walk by the river. When we came to the spot where I had kissed her for the first time, I pulled out a walkman and we each took a headphone. We danced (awkwardly on my part) to a mixed tape I had made: Frank Sinatra, Sam Cooke, Relient K - you know the type.

After “Earth Angel”, I stopped the tape.

“Oh, I almost forgot. I have a graduation present for you.”

“You do?”

“Yeah. Close your eyes.”

She closed her eyes, and I put a small jewelry box in her hand. I told her to look. She could hardly contain her excitement as she opened the box. She looked down at the ring and immediately started squealing / laughing / crying / hugging.

“Will you marry me?” I asked.


May 26, 2007

I don’t know why I wasn’t nervous. This was the biggest day of my life, but right now I was just fine goofing around with my friends and waiting for things to start rolling. I hadn’t seen Elizabeth since about 10:00 that morning when we went to get the car washed and get breakfast from Sonic. I was anxious to see her. Just a little bit longer.

I looked at the clock. Ten minutes. Then I started to feel it.

“What if I do something wrong? What if I forget what I’m supposed to say? Holy crap, I’m getting married!”

We made our way down to the platform. Everything was perfect: the weather, the lake, my hair. Now I was just waiting on my bride. Then the music started. Foregoing the traditional “duh dut duh duh”, she chose enter to a song that her great-grandfather had recorded for his wife years ago on the radio:

“If God made a sweeter girl
Than you, I’d like to meet her
But I know I’ll never meet her
For there’s none sweet as you”

The crowd stood up, blocking my view. I tried to see over their heads, but I only caught a few stray glimpses. Then she reached the aisle. She was gorgeous. We came together, we held hands, we looked into each other’s eyes, we served communion, we vowed our dedication, we kissed, we ate, and we left.

I will never ever look back.

May 10, 2009

It was Elizabeth’s first Mother’s Day. Our sweet little girl was twenty-seven days old. My wife beamed with pride as she stood up to be recognized at church. I was proud too – of both of them. Elizabeth had sacrificed a lot over the past few months. She went through extreme discomfort, both before and after Mollie’s birth, not to mention the actual pain of labor (which I do not feel the need to describe to you). She quit her job to stay home and take care of her baby night and day. Our families were hours away, I worked and went to class, and when I was home I was busy with homework. She felt frustrated, fatigued, and lonely at times, but she persevered. She was the heroine of our young family. And even after all she had been through physically and emotionally, she was joyful, she was dedicated, she was loving, and she was beautiful.


May 26, 2010

Elizabeth,

After six years of being your boyfriend, three years of being your husband, and one year of parenting by your side, I just want you to know that I am still deeply in love with you. May our children inherit the virtues of their mother, May we always put the Lord and each other first, May we never lose our romance, and May we live long in loving companionship.

Happy Anniversary

No comments:

Post a Comment