Tuesday, April 13, 2010

One

Today is my daughter’s first birthday! In honor of the occasion, I’ve decided to share the first and latest entries of the journal I keep for her:


March 24, 2009

Dear Mollie,

As you can see, the first half of this book was written to/about me by your Grandma. Last night, I decided that I should write the second half for you, my firstborn child.

Actually, you aren’t quite born yet. Your mom is 36 weeks and 4 days pregnant with you. As soon as we found out you were a girl, we knew your name would be Mollie (it was my idea to spell it with an I-E – I hope you like it that way). We live in a one bedroom apartment right now, but we have already set up half of the room to be yours, and it almost looks like a separate little nursery. Everything is pink and brown, and we already have lots of clothes for you, so we really hope the doctor wasn’t wrong about your gender!

Even though we haven’t met you yet, we love you very very much. We want you to be born as soon as possible, so we can see your pretty face and hug you and kiss you. I like to put my head on Mommy’s tummy and feel you move.

Well, I guess that’s all I have to write for now. I’ll write more when you’re born.

I love you,

Daddy


April 13, 2010

Dear Mollie,

Today is your first birthday! I have two jobs right now, and I have to work at both of them today, so I won’t get to see you very much. I’m sorry. But we’re having your party on Saturday, and Mommy and I are going to spend all day with you! We’re having it at [information omitted – I don’t want any of you creepers showing up], and there are a lot of people coming.

You have grown a lot since I last wrote in your journal. You haven’t walked yet, but you are crawling and cruising around on the furniture (very fast!) and can stand up on your own. You like to talk, but the only words we can understand are “momma”, “bear”, “pretty”, and “bye-bye”, which is your favorite (and the only one we’re sure you’re actually saying). Sometimes you say “bye-bye” when nobody is going anywhere. We think that means you want to go – you’re very adventurous. You like to be outside, but you don’t like the feeling of grass (just like a girl). You love exploring things – climbing the stairs when we aren’t looking, opening boxes and cabinets and pulling everything out, etc. You are also very interested in jewelry and flowers and other “pippy” (pretty) things. You love music and have started singing and dancing along. You love food and will eat almost anything. You aren’t afraid of strangers, but, just like me and your mom, you have to get to know someone before you really open up to them. Your blonde hair is getting longer, and your blue eyes are always shining. You are generally very well-behaved, and you capture the hearts of everyone you meet. Mommy and I love you very, very much and look forward to getting you know you better and better as the years go by.

Happy Birthday, my sweet princess!

Love,

Daddy

1 comment:

  1. Dude, I love this..and you, Mollie, and I guess also Beth.;) Good stuff..

    ReplyDelete